Sunday, August 13, 2006

Welcome to Leaves . . .

While in college I read a wonderful book by Reinhold Niebuhr, Leaves from the Notebook of a Tamed Cynic. It is excerpts from the journal of Neibuhr as he served as a young parish pastor in Detroit at Bethel Evangelical Church.

Reinhold Neibuhr is perhaps the greatest American theologian of the 20th Century. In the journal he is brilliant and the proto-outline of his eventual theological themes are present, but the uncertainty and vulnerability of a young man searching to live our his call and vocation are very much present.

I thought it would be a fitting tribute to Neibuhr (ok, perhaps not fitting, he deserves sooo much more!) to name this blog after him.

In this blog I hope to reflect more theologically on the state of the church in general and given specific attention to my current fellowship, the Community of Christ (formerly the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).

I do also blog at another place, ToddElkins.Net, yet I'm going to try a different style of blogging than has been present there. Perhaps I'm kidding myself that anyone is actually interested in reading either of my blogs, but really this blog is more about capturing a wide range of thoughts I have right now than actually being worried if anyone is reading. (However, if you are reading, please send me an e-mail or post a comment!).

No comments: