Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Secret . . . Depends if you are in CST or MST

What is the secret?

Is the secret knowledge (gnosis)? Or is the secret framing? Or is it marketing? Or power analysis? Or Praxis?

Yes, praxis. Action and reflection. Action and reflection. (Rinse, lather and repeating.)
Yet I had the chance when I was looking at seminaries to sit in a lecture by Susan Brooks Thistlewait when she was "just" a professor at Chicago Theological Seminary.

She had the answer. (At least for me). And perhaps because she gave me the answer, I didn't need to go to CTS (or so I thought).

She taught me the importance of who asks the 1st question. In one lecture, she had transcended everything that I had learned as a philosophy/religion major at Graceland. She explained that for classical "Western" theology, the 1st question was, "Is there a God?" Yet for "liberation" theologians, the question is, "Is God on our side?"
A powerful difference. A huge difference. Both questions are fine questions, yet one is more powerful than the other.

What question do you find most interesting? That is the question that has more power for you.

It is your true question (or perhaps a truer question).

Dr. Thistlewait is now president of that fine seminary. Yet, why didn't I choose CTS and instead I went to the Iliff School of Theology? I mean, CTS offered me more money than Iliff.

It is a complicated answer. One, I'm not sure I've completely figured out yet. Yet, I think this is true:
I had already been to Chicago.
It was about a girl.
And it was about the girl.
And a boy from the
northwestern district
of Michigan &
the field of dreams,
yearned for the mountains
& a place to call home.
This is my testimony and my story and my song, for today at least.

No comments: